Sunday, October 24, 2010

NSW, Nannied State...PT 1.

It seems impossible, nowadays, to wipe your arse without someone from the fine NSW police force wanting to stick their big snout in and ensure you’re doing it ‘by the book’.
Gone are the days when a copper might let you off with a warning, far the opposite, they are actively looking to find a crime, even in the absence of one and seem completely frustrated when they find you to be a responsible, law abiding citizen.
I remember a story an uncle told me about the early 80s. So it goes that he made the drive from Sydney to Melbourne, in a mini and blind drunk. But, he assured me, “you could do that in those days”.
Right he was, you could. Don’t let it be said I am an advocate for drunk driving, simply using the story to illustrate a point; that if you could get away with an 8 hour high-speed drive then you could certainly avoid the mundane, unwarranted and unnecessary harassment of the boys in blue if you, as I am any time it happens, within the bounds of the law.
I remember one instance I was low on fuel and had a big drive the next day. The petrol station in my town was closed so, with the little bowser flashing, we made the tedious and risky drive to Orange, some 27 kms away.
In a small town along the way there were around 12 police cars lining either side of the narrow road. As the bank was full I didn’t get ushered in and thought id made it through by some miracle for one baring the dreaded red P plate.
Of course a sleek red highway patrol car was flashing its lights to me by the time id reached the towns limit. I pulled over and the bull headed officer approached.
Now, keep in mind I was 17 at this time. He asked me to get out of the car and show my license and pink slip. I did so and it seemed he wanted to have me out of the way, to inspect the car for the bounty of heroin I might be chartering.
With the breath test out of the way, the fine officer seemed disgruntled that there was no dirt on me. He dug further. Asking me about my drug past, as a consequence of the apparent drug raid they were doing on the district.
Had I smoked pot?
Not in around 6 years.
Pills?
Nope.
Speed?
Nope.
Then he took a shot in the dark.
Heroin?
No, I laughed.
Of course, by then I was only being half honest, but what did he expect.
Do you do heroin or meth?
Why yes officer, I have been up 72 hours and you might want to check my boot as I have around 14 kg, give or take, of fine uncut China White in there.
Gimme a fucking break.
It wasn’t the first time it has happened and it certainly won’t be the last, but finally out of options he let me go.
I think the problem is inadequate training and a fair whack of stupidity, but what can be done, after all, they run the show…
This won’t be the last of it, I shall blog to this effect a few more times in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment