Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Note From The Grass Is Always Greener Desk.

Since I first left the merry ol' land of Aus, I have been frustrated every moment of my foot-setting on Australian soil. It's true enough I am no patriot, as true as it is that I love this country, in some respects. Since I was 19 I have wanted to leave and never, or scarcely, return. Objectively I do not hate Australia, but as an Australian with my sensibilities I am frustrated by it.
I fit in and so I can rest on my laurels. I am the supreme example of a laurel-resting type. If I don't have to strive for it, I won't. If I desire a change or something new in my life, I will let it melt in to the ether as something not attainable. I am a cynic, a skeptic of almost everything and will naturally follow the path of least resistance.
I moved interstate some years ago hoping to provide the same fire under my arse that a trip to Europe had done, to no real avail. It's too similar; there is the stress to find accommodation, employment, friends, a niche. But once you do it becomes home and 'home' is a trap. A trap some people are content in. Like my brothers, who never want to leave but I digress.
'You never really feel at home' is ponied up as a negative. Why should you? If you don't feel at home, you will live differently than you do at home. The point is not to feel at home. Melbourne, my current city is renowned as a great city; of pubs, clubs, live music, entertainment, comedy, theater, sport and culture. Yet I feel no need to properly partake. Why? Because Melbourne is forever and I will forever be able to access those things.
I was in Dublin two and a half years ago, two weeks coinciding with my birthday in June. For those fourteen days I went out every night. Why? Because I may only be there once and wanted to do all I could.
This is a flaw in me and my attitude. But traveling provides the well heralded new experience. Which could be seeing the Taj Mahal, or simply finding a bed. Necessity and desperation drag you out of your comfort zone, in which you can dwell but not live infinitely, and into the adult world of interaction.
It is this world I crave and it is this world, eyed from Australia's distant horizon, that the grass is greener. Or looks greener. And if you get there and it is much browner and more dead and in no way pleasant?

Notch it up as another experience and move on, it's greener over there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment