Tuesday, May 26, 2015

5 Things You Learn As A Sociophobic Student Journalist.



For as long as I can remember, which usually means forever, I have been sociophobic. I know in the old talk that is shy, and that me using anything else is utter hypocrisy given my loathing of wankers. But this one feels more medical and so less like I have a choice in the matter, as passing-the-buck on all of my shortcomings is a consuming priority of mine.
What does this mean? Well, probably close enough to what you think. I avoid making phone calls, I dread a knock at the door, my small talk is more small than talk, I dodge friends I have dodged for too long as they are now strangers and I hope for long lines at the supermarket so I can think of something clever to say to the checkout chick or chap.



                                                             My Dog Has Diarrhoea.

I am also a student-journalist and, as it turns out, that involves talking to a lot of strangers. While I have done various journalism subjects over my degree, none of them involved as much stranger-contact as this one. I actually bailed out of this same class a year ago for my fear of contacting people.
Though this year I am a little older and a little more afraid of falling into that class of irrecoverable weak-sauce. I really like writing feature articles and would consider this a real career prospect, like Gladwell or Ronson. Plus I am within pissing distance of my bachelors. Nothing for it but to sack up and bite the bullet.
Through the process I learned some convenient truths, some of which are:

What Is The Worst They Can Do?

In preparation for some of these big interviews I would continually ask myself this question. It turned out, probably because I was a student-journalist rather than a real one, that most were very accommodating and worked around all my nonsense.
But then, what was the worst? I suppose in philosophical extremes they could have killed me. But realistically they could have said no or told me to leave. Not so bad. Not worth ageing over, though probably a devastating shot to the esteem. Lucky I am a student and don't have to face the real world until I am in my thirties.

Even An Apparently Boring Subject Can Yield Good Stories.

As part of this class all the stories have to be community based. When I went to film school our first semester we edited on Steenbeck's and worked the audio on magnetic tape, totally redundant technologies in the real world but the idea was to gain an appreciation for the craft. I can only assume this was the same idea, to learn from the bare bones, though probably also to set an achievable goal for a bunch of 20something fuck-wits.


                             I Think These Two Have A Story, Way Better Than Your Dumb Story.

At first I thought it too limiting, not in line with my grandiose aspirations. I tried to work myself in and make it a participatory type of journalism. Though through the interviews I realised how stupid I had been. Subjects will give you everything if you let them speak and realise you are not god's gift to the world of the word.

You Want More.

Going into these interviews I had a magic number in mind, one hour. That is conventional wisdom on how long you need to get enough out of a subject. That is also how long I would have to ignore my itchy nut-sack, wonder whether the microphone on my phone was getting everything and chewing my lip, literally chomping at the bit, to get out of there.
What I found was, most of the time, I was genuinely interested and wanting to talk for more time. Most of the interviews lasted longer than an hour and I only ended it because I felt like a nuisance on my subjects.

                                               For the Love Of God! Please Continue. 

You Realise Your Worth.

Yes, it is probably because I am a student these people agreed to sit down with me. But they, nonetheless, sat down with me. What I expected was party-lines, the default answer, the easy way out. But they were open and honest. I know I am not covering a sex-scandal, political wrongdoing or case of bigotry. Still, it is nice to know if you put it on front street, they will too.
It is, essentially, nice to know they will put their words and story in your hands. It is a huge boost to the ego, mine is already bulging, and a nice vote of confidence. Basically, you realise you can do it; the interview, the thing that seems so conceptually impossible. And you feel like a million bucks walking our of there.

                                                   And What A Great Feeling. 

You Aren't As Good As You Think You Are.

Yes, it felt good climbing that mountain. I know, if I do what I want to do, I will have to do it many times more. But I know after each one, I could have done better. There were moments of lull that I could have filled with a good question, I could have redirected the conversation away from the repetitive, I should've asked about about everything that would make my story a well rounded piece.
For me it is enough climbing the mountain, I will be able to have a cigar there with time.

Journalism is, in the words of the Irish, a tough crack. Questioning strangers is, to me, the horror of all horrors. But I am getting better at both, and both are my future. There is a weird amount to learn outside your comfort zone.


NP.  

No comments:

Post a Comment