Thursday, December 9, 2010

So THIS is Christmas?

Despite a conscious decision to try and give this blog a light heart, this will have to be a relatively heavy one. And might I say, the last of these….
I hate Christmas. I am never as low as the holiday season and its routinely the hardest, most depressing and boring time of year. Although I haven’t a clue of the exact reason, the theories are credible and numerous.
For one thing, its entirely too hot. As someone who feels the heat in an instant and who shuts down completely when continuously exposed to hot-hot heat I hate this time of year. I was born in the middle of winter in a freezing cold down, and with the earth getting hotter, my weight growing by the day and increasingly poor circulation, Summer is a bigger pain in the arse every year.
For another, I despise crowds…or certain types of crowd. The Christmas shoppers are a prime example, it’s the same reason I don’t understand why women shop how they shop. I think long and hard about what I might like to purchase before I even step foot in any kind of store.
Apparently 95 percent of the world don’t share my method. The streets are full of people sizing things up, inspecting, shopping around for price and looking at each individual item or garment. This, in itself shouldn’t be a problem, and there oughta be a ‘freedom of shopping’ act legislated to keep people like me bitching about things like this on blogs like this. Thing is, it makes it ten times as difficult to get the newspaper or a bottle of beer- should you desire it.
I have also gained a healthy disdain for the ever triumphant family Christmas. In essence, mine runs like this; turn up, sit around awkwardly while the males get drunk and angry, talk awkwardly with relatives I haven’t spoken with since last Christmas, eat and go home. It, to me, feels fake…yet I see its importance and an obligation means it isn’t likely to end any time soon.
In an ideal world I would pull a Hugh Grant (sounds dirty and undesirable) and stay inside, drink beer and watch television alone at Christmas, but as we know, this world is not ideal.
An unhealthy hatred of people could be behind all of these reasons, and I should suck it up…..but of course, after Christmas comes NYE, when you have to do something, and the expectation is palpable…
Just Sayin’

NP.

No comments:

Post a Comment